3 hours 15 minutes
- 2/3 medium white onions
- 2 cups cream cheese
- 2 cups grated cheddar
- 1 cup cooked bacon strips
- 3 jalapenos, finely diced
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 2 cups plain flour
- 4 eggs, beaten with a little milk
- 2 cups seasoned panko breadcrumbs
- Peel the outer skin off the onions and trim both ends. Cut into 3/4 rings and separate into chunks.
- In a large bowl mix together the cream cheese, cheddar, bacon strips, jalapenos, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Lay the onion rings on a lined baking sheet and spoon the jalapenos popper mix into them, smoothing it down with a spoon. Pop them in the freezer for around 2 to 3 hours until they feel solid to the touch.
Heat the oil until it reaches 170°C/340°F.
- Take them out and cover them completely in flour, then egg (shaking off excess) then finally the seasoned breadcrumbs.
- Fry them in batches of three for around 3 - 4 minutes until crispy and cooked through.