20 meatballs, 4 to 5 servings
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 pound ground lamb
- 1/2 pound ground round
- 5 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and drained thoroughly
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan
- 1 whole egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs, divided
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the pork, lamb, ground round, spinach, cheese, egg, basil, parsley, garlic powder, salt, red pepper flakes, and 1/4 cup of the bread crumbs.
- Using your hands, mix all ingredients until well incorporated. Use immediately or place in refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
- Place the remaining 1/4 cup of bread crumbs into a small bowl.
- Using a scale, weigh meatballs into 1.5-ounce portions and place on a sheet pan.
- Using your hands, shape the meatballs into rounds, roll in the bread crumbs and place the meatballs in individual, miniature muffin tin cups.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- We often make up big batches of these guys, bake 'em, then cool and freeze 'em in the muffin pans then transfer to heavy-duty zip-top bags for storage. They'll keep for up to six months and can be revived simply by simmering a few minutes in a pot of sauce or soup.