1 hour 10 minutes
- ½ cup salted butter
- 1 long loaf of Challah or French bread
- 3½ cups milk
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup whisky
- 3/4 teaspoons of cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Spray a 2-quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cut or rip the loaf into bite size pieces.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the 1/4 cup of butter and add half the bread. The bread should absorb all of the butter in the pan.
- Stir continuously and sprinkle 1/4 tsp of cinnamon on top while stirring. Cook until lightly browned and then pour into the casserole dish.
- Repeat step 3 and 4 for the other half of the bread.
- In a large bowl mix the milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla extract, and whiskey.
- Pour over the bread in the casserole dish.
- Sprinkle more cinnamon on top.
- Bake for 1 hour, checking at the 40 minute mark. The casserole is done when the liquid is set, top has browned, and is pulling away from the sides of the casserole dish.
Source: The Country Cook1